The dangers of technology can be broken down into a few distinct areas. (Please note this page is specifically aimed at the scientific perspective of technology. )
- Social media Social media defines an array of Internet sites or applications (apps for short) that enable people from all over the world to interact. This can be through discussion, photos, video and audio. People lose self confidence because of the constant comparison between their achievements and their friend’s. People on social media sites mostly present idealized versions of their lives, leading others to make upward social comparisons, which lead to negative emotions. Social Media allows for Cyber-bullying. Children slinging insults with the recklessness that comes only with anonymity. Social media has also become a toxic mirror. Psychologists found robust cross-cultural evidence linking social media use to body image concerns, dieting, body surveillance, a drive for thinness and self-objectification in adolescents.
- inappropriate content This refers to any content (words) or imagery (pictures) or videos, that are clearly by anyone’s standard disgusting. Leading to emotional distance, depression, inabililty to form relationships or stable marriages.
- Technology addiction Sometimes called Internet addiction, Internet use disorder (IUD) or Internet addiction disorder (IAD) — It’s often described as a serious problem involving the inability to control use of various kinds of technology, in particular the Internet, smartphones, tablets and social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Compulsive checking of text messages
- Frequent changing of Facebook status or any other social media status, and uploading of “selfies”
- A feeling of euphoria while on the Web
- Social withdrawal
- Loss of interest in activities that don’t involve a computer, phone or gadget
- Feelings of restlessness when unable to go online
- Need to be electronically connected at all times.
IAD has also been linked to stress, sleep disorders and depression.
Hashkafa: Coming soon.